Child Support and Different Jurisdictions

In some jurisdictions the privilege of visitation (or access) is tied to child support. If the Custodial Parent refuses to allow the non-custodial parent visitation with the child, the non-custodial parent can petition the court to temporarily stop support payments. However, some jurisdictions view this as punishing the child, not the parent, and in such cases the court may order additional visitation to the non-custodial parent. Visitation, is a limited form of custody.

Child Support Laws vary around the world. Some jurisdictions sort the arrangements out directly between the parents. Others involve the state collecting child support payments as though it were a tax. In the United States some non-custodial parents claim there is no accountablity on the part of the Custodial Parent regarding how child support payments are spent and accuse the custodial parent of spending support money on non-child expenses. Depending on the jurisdiction, a custodial parent might legally be required to account for how child support money is spent. In the United States, 11 states (Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oregon, and Washington) allow courts to demand an accounting from custodial parent on how child support dollars are spent. Additionally, Alabama courts have authorized such accounting under certain specific circumstances. Despite this, some non-custodial parents in such situations still view their only recourse lies in petitioning the court for a change of custody.


If you think you are in need of an attorney do fill our form. An expert attorney with credible court record will contact you soon.


Different jurisdictions | Dead-Beats | Child Support and Welfare | Court services | How much to pay | Collect